On episode 30, we talked about code review. We had a lovely chat with a few Kitware software development experts who gave very informed perspectives on the efficacy of various methods of code review. We also talked about a piece of code review facilitation software called Gerrit. This episode addresses obstacles both technical and interpersonal that arise in the implementation of code review workflows including pair programming, pull request reviews, and no review at all.
On today’s show our crew of guests includes:
- Marcus Hanwell (Kitware)
- Luis Ibanez (Kitware)
- Matt McCormick (Kitware)
- Katy Huff (moderator)
This episode gave a broad discussion and touched on a number of topics having to do with techniques for reducing bugs by review, controlling collaboration, training with code review, and facilitating code review in general. We hope you enjoy it!
In addition to code review, we mentioned in our rant section that the open source scientific computing community has lost a significant contributor, John D. Hunter, to a sudden, intense battle with cancer. If you’ve ever benefitted from Matplotlib, please click here to thank John by supporting the education and future of his children. More links about John can be found below.
Intro/Outro Music: ‘Genesis’ – Grimes / ‘We’re All in This Together’ – Old Crow Medicine Show
Audio Editor : Nicholas Hollon
- John Hunter Memorial Fund (http://numfocus.org/johnhunter/)
- Perez, F. A Sad Day For Our Community (http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-dev/2012-August/010135.html)
- Gerrit (http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/)
- Fagan, M.E. Design and Code Inspections to Reduce Errors in Program Development (http://www.cs.umd.edu/fs/www/class/fall2006/cmsc838p/VandV/fagan.pdf)
- Pair Programming Considered Harmful (http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/03/pair-programming-considered-harmful/)
- Dubois, P., Epperly, T. Kumfert, G. Why Johnny Can’t Build. (http://www.grosskurth.ca/bib/2003/dubois.pdf)
- Pair Programming is Cost Effective (https://acc.dau.mil/adl/en-US/323892/file/46968/SW%20Cost%20Est%20Manual%20Vol%20I%20rev%2010.pdf )
- Perez, F. Code Review Meetings (http://fperez.org/py4science/code_reviews.html)
- More Studies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_programming#Scientific_studies)